What Can You Do To Prevent A TBI & Avoid The Need For TBI Recovery?
There are many ways to reduce the chances of sustaining a traumatic brain injury. See prevention tips listed below.
You Can Prevent Traumatic Brain Injury
Buckle Up Every Ride – Wear a seat belt every time you drive – or ride – in a motor vehicle.
Never drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Wear a helmet, or appropriate headgear, when you or your children:
- Ride a bike, motorcycle, snowmobile, scooter, or use an all-terrain vehicle;
- Play a contact sport, such as football, ice hockey, or boxing;
Prevent Older Adult Falls
- Talk to your doctor to evaluate your risk for falling, and talk with them about specific things you can do to reduce your risk for a fall.
- Do strength and balance exercises to make your legs stronger and improve your balance.
Make living and play areas safer for children
- Install window guards to keep young children from falling out of open windows.
- Use safety gates at the top and bottom of stairs when young children are around.(cdc.gov)